Monday, November 23, 2009

What is Design?

As my blogging days come to a close shortly, I am reminded of a question I was asked back in late September. What is Design? How does design play a role in society? As I begin to reflect on these last two and a half months, I am reminded of many things that could make the answers to these questions simple. However, it is indeed quite hard to just give one answer to these questions. As the month have progressed I believe that I have gained the knowledge to understand what design truly is. Design is everything: It is the people we read about in our history books, it is the chair I sit on while I eat my favorite meal, it is the laptop in which I write weekly, these blogs. Design is, in essence, life. Without so much design that resides in society on a daily basis, we would not be able to function as a society. I think back to the artists and designers that I have studied over the course of the last two and a half months, and I have nothing but admiration for their hard work and their own interpretation of what design really is. Jackson Pollock and Andy Goldsworthy are only two designers/artists that I have had the privilege of studying this fall. These two men see design through their surroundings. Their hard work consists of elements that surround them, while artist Jeffery K. Bedwick designs from his imagination. Design is a network that encompasses its surroundings. Design can include many different interpretations and understandings. Desing plays a role in sositey by allowing people to view the world in a collaborative and artistic way. Albert Einstein once said:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience in the mysterious is the source of all true art and science."

Design truly is a mystery. Sure one could place a definition to the word itself, but the truth is, is that design encompasses so many things, that it truly is a wonder. If we allow ourselves to take a deeper look at society the depths of design will become clearer. Through theses last few months, I have learned to evaluate design, and consider its possibilities in a very different way. I know now, that next time I am asked, "What is design," I will be fully prepared with a strong answer....

http://www.betterbydesign.org.nz/Images/design-is-a-behaviour.jpg

(http://www.betterbydesign.org.nz/Images/design-is-a-behaviour.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment