Monday, November 2, 2009

Alex Anderson:

In a final exploration of patterns, and shapes, and the overall unity of the design, I embarked upon a journey, which included research on other forms of patterns in design.  To my surprise, I was often taken to various quilt-making sites, as well as sites where certain quilt designers were featured.  One particular designer caught my eye, as I was very interested in her work.  Alex Anderson is a well-know quilt designer, who has a website that features her amazing work. (www.alexandersonquilts.com) In an exploration of her work, I began to consider how her designs played with the use pattern, shape, and texture.  Though all quilts may tell a story within the work, I found it to be particularly interesting in the stories that her quilts “told.” When visiting the Nelson Gallery, each individual quilt had a meaning, and background to the title and the work.  Designers often seek to tell a story within their works, and these stories were very evident in the work of both the Nelson Gallery quilts, as well as Alex Anderson’ quilt.

 One particular quilt that I enjoyed studying was a piece entitled “Bear West.” (http://alexandersonquilts.com/gallery/quilts/bearwest.html) Out of the several different quilts I had to study from, the story of this quilt was extremely evident in the overall image.  What I found to be so interesting was the overall picture that was created from the tiny individual triangle shapes, that when put together, created an outline of California, the Grizzly Bear, and the California Golden Poppy. There was a very simple pattern that is vivid throughout the piece.  Each triangle had been paired with another triangle to give what almost appeared as a star shape, which was the basis that the overall picture was based on. Again, color, especially in Anderson’s piece was vital to helping compliment her overall picture that she had created.  Each section of her quilt used different shades of a primary color, which in turn brought the whole picture to life.  In comparison to the other quilts that were on display in the Nelson Gallery, Anderson’s quilt had the strongest picture of a story, evident in her work.  Though I enjoyed all of the works completed by the artist, I’d have to say that Alex Anderson’s Bear West, has surly been a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment